Thursday, August 6, 2009

Complex Simplicity II

You, take II: " we would talk about truth(s) and beauty and fascination...we would not only accept, but revel in the wonders of momentous life...we would never forget how to stand in awe of everything. atman and brahman would finally equal one another and both terms would lose all context...everything would lose all context and we would finally talk about what actually matters to us...whatever that might be."

I went to my fave Chinese restaurant in town today after taking care of some Health Carnival Biznass... I got there not so much for the food, but for the woman, Lisa, who works there. She is one of my favorite people in South Africa and we always have a jolly ol' time, each and every time. I love how I've adopted the ability of mirroring other people's speech and body language and expressions. I suppose its a part of being the only native English speaker almost everywhere I go. It incredibly how much more you can communicate with others if you stop trying to make them understand your way of communicating and just adopt their way instead. So with Lisa, i get to speak in broken English, and its so much fun! " Me no come tomorrow for atofu. Me come only next week. Me no money come tomorrow. Me phone you quickly for afresh atofu." are how our convos go. And we dont only talk about tofu.. oh no, we talk about life and relationships and love and 'God' and everything.

Another reason i love this woman is because she has the most interesting friends and I usually meet other quirky characters when I frequent this hole in the wall. Today I met an absolutely amazing person. After shaking hands, we immediately launched in to conversations about our passions, about seeing the universe and the things in it with our hearts and not our eyes, the amazing effect the laughter of children has on us, our powerful connection with nature, and how we both lay in a bucket of water when stressed...yes, Ive met another leghoa (spelling?) who enjoys a good bucket bath!

The most brilliant woman in my life- the one with the brilliant response above- told me to stop looking for answers and to just start looking.. to just reach out into the universe and often you will find not only what you were looking for, but what you didnt even know you needed. Ive been stressing lately over a few Ausi's behavior and chaotic energy in the village lately, and have been trying to figure out a way to better understand them, connect with them, accept them. In conversation with my new friend, he said something.. something that helps to answer my question regarding these two Ausis... he said that even in people that he doesnt understand or get along with, he finds the tiniest point, the smallest bit of beauty in them, and he focuses on that.. he doesnt see the rest of their ugliness, he only sees the beauty within them.. and even the worst people you can think of have something beautiful inside of them. I started laughing and told him how the universe had just provided for me by having us meet that day.. I got so much more than the answer to the question buzzing in my head. He is really involved in sustainable farming, etc. and has many sponsors and people to put me in contact with, and another Ausi has been wanting to start a project centered around sustainable farming.. I just reached out like you said and all of these things fell into place. Oh, the things you can learn when you allow yourself to...

2 comments:

  1. as soon as you stop looking for something...the things you find are so much better than you could ever have imagined...the universe has a much better imagination than we do, and the cool part is, it also has the ability to turn that imagination into reality if we let it <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. blogger lacks a 'like' button :-)

    ReplyDelete